Wednesday 18 February 2015

Something to read in front of the fire


Blurb:
Certain individuals might consider Lady Amelia Pembroke a managing sort of female, but truly, most people would be lost without her help.  Why, the latest on-dit is that rakish Viscount Sheffield is cancelling the fĂȘte of the year because he hasn't time for silly soirees. He doesn't need time—he needs.

When a flash of lightning destroys the venue for his family's annual Christmas ball, Lord Benedict Sheffield intends to enjoy a relaxing holiday for once.  But after twelve days of beguiling Lady Amelia's guerilla Tactics, he's up to his cravat in tinsel ... and tumbling head over heels in love.


Review:
When I compare my reading experience to other people’s reviews, I often think that I have read an entirely different book as their reviews are often in direct contact to mine.  Perhaps these people are less stingy with their reviews than me or they expect so much less from their reading experience than I do.  This book is a case in point.

I am not really sure why this book is subtitled as a prequel as there is only one fleeting mention made to the dukes of war.

This is a Novella rather than a full length and for this reason the main characters here fall in love deeply in less than 12 days.  They are not in infatuation, or in lust but rather real deep love.

The characters have clearly defined personalities and this reader liked the female lead (Lady Amelia) with her organisational skills from the first.  The Viscount is equally a strong character who cannot help but fall for this formidable female and readily falls for her honey trap.

This novel was quite charming with the occasional humorous episode.  Amelia clearly knew how to manage her man! Without him realising that he was complying with her wishes (something modern women clearly do every day).

The story is straightforward with no miscommunications or unnecessary drama.  When I finished the book I was like ‘Ahhhhhhh’.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hope that the remaining novels in the series are as good.

I was surprised, however, that this novella only comprised 75% of the book with the remainder being a preview of the first full book of the series.  If I wanted to read a preview of the next book I would have purchased a free sampler from Amazon.

So if you are looking for a short, light, funny read with likeable characters this is one for you.  I personally am looking forward to reading the series proper.

Full Disclosure: ARC received from Netgalley for an honest review.

I rated this 5 stars on net galley and 'I really liked it' in Amazon (4 stars) and Goodreads (4 stars).

No comments:

Post a Comment